MollyL

The Historian
Elizabeth Kostova
The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World
Jill Jonnes
The Land of Painted Caves
Jean M. Auel
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined
Steven Pinker
The Hakawati
Rabih Alameddine

How to Ditch Your Fairy

How to Ditch Your Fairy - Justine Larbalestier Entertaining and well-written, but there was so much more I really needed to know, like why is this society so completely fucked-up? I don’t know if there’s a sequel coming, but I hope so—without it, I’m left scratching my head over a book where kids are dealing with criminally violent behaviour (stalking, kidnapping, sexual assault, the threat of rape) without ANY real adult intervention or, frankly, attention. The victims are punished, in fact, by the demerit system at their school. The last half of the book I was reading as much to find out how this was possible, and how this was going to be dealt with, as anything else, but nothing regarding the criminal activity was actually dealt with. Rather, the kidnapping perpetrator was charged with an unrelated crime, and no real attention was given to the sexual assault issues. I guess I’d say that this was an interesting world, but I would not want any kid reading this book and thinking that they, too, should try to or have to deal with criminal violence by themselves. I’m kind of weirded out by it myself.